Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Visit to August Town & The Beginning of a Beautiful Garden


Children truly are a gift from God! Our visit to August Town was full of affection for the kids and appreciation received from the kids. It touched my heart to hear the children singing "Not forgotten" as they emerged from their classrooms to attend the assembly. Clearly, the song
resonated within the hearts and minds of the future of Jamaica. How mighty is the statement that God has not forgotten you! I can only imagine the number of times the lyrics may have ministered to the children individual.


My heart was filled with joy! Joy and hope! When I looked into the eyes of the children, I saw such promise and innocence. It was an answer to my prayers from last year's visit. Jamaica is notoriously known for a high tolerance of perverse sexuality and robbing the youth of their innocence. However, I knew that God had honored my request when out of the lips came cheerful hellos and "Do you remember me?", and "I remember what you told me last time and I've been good." Today my prayer is that God continues to protect the hearts, minds, and souls of every child at AugustTown.


Later in the day, the Ten Days team rolled up their sleeves and got their hands dirty with our service project - the Papine farm. At a glimpse, anyone can tell that the farm had not been cared for in ages. With the help of the team, hard work, and Godly laughter, we prepared the land for what God intended for it to be. Looking at the service project as a whole, I likened the experience to God taking the time to carefully prepare each of the team members for a season of fruitfulness/harvest. Initially, like the farm, we all started as unmanageable weeds with potential to grow into our full capacity - yet directing our growth along the wrong path. God, the ultimate caretaker, took the time to show us love by digging up our roots, plucking off old leaves, planting new seeds, watering us, fertilizing the soil, and watching as we blossom into his beautiful creation. With that revelation, I observed how each person in our team had blossom in such a short amount of time since arriving in Jamaica. While the team is diverse with seasoned pastors and the willing hearts with less evangelizing experience, I could recognize a difference. God had used this trip to fertilize his Ten Days crops, so that they would have the nutrients necessary to sprout in order to feed his people (Papine, August Town, UTech) while we were here. I am amazed at God the creator and have a new appreciation for farmers.

Talk with you tomorrow!

One Lord, One God, Many Nations

Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment